Certificate Retirement Types/Reasons
Every M-RETS retirement requires a Type and Reason. If you feel these reasons do not properly describe your retirement, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Voluntary Retirement Types
Municipal Portfolio Standard
- M-RETS Uses: Municipal Renewable Portfolio Standard retirements
Green-e Energy Certified Voluntary Market Sale (GRN)
- M-RETS Uses: All Green-e Retirements. In order to retire Certificates to substantiate sales made in a given calendar year as “Green-eEnergy certified”, the party retiring Certificates must have a contract in place with Center for Resource Solutions to make Green-e Energy certified sales in that year of sale.
Utility Green Pricing (UGP)
- M-RETS Uses: Utility Green Pricing Program Retirements. Note: “Green-e Energy Certified” UtilityGreen Pricing Program Retirements should use the Green-e EnergyCertified Voluntary Market Sale Retirement Reason
Federal Renewable Energy Requirement (FDR)
- M-RETS Uses: Federal Renewable Energy Requirement retirement for the following programs: EPACT 2005, Executive Order 13423, Federal Building, U.S. DOD Army, U.S. DOD Navy, U.S. DOD Air Force, U.S. DOD Marines, U.S. DOD, U.S. Park Service, Dept. of Interior. Note: Please contact the M-RETS Administrator if a Federal program is missing from this list.
Beneficial Ownership (BBO)
- Formal Definition: With respect to any Credit, Beneficial Ownership Rights means any contractual or other right to direct or control the sale or other disposition of, or the Retirement of, such Credit or (ii) any contractual or other right to receive the benefits of such Credit or any proceeds from the sale or other disposition of such Credit.
- M-RETS Uses: All retirements for the benefit of an individual owner of for a general environmental reason (i.e. company purchasing Certificates to green their operation) An Additional Details field is provided to allow the account holder to provide specific information about the sale (i.e. customer name, retirement year) Note: Compliance or Green-e Voluntary programs should not use the Beneficial Ownership retirement type. All RPS retirements (IncludingIL ARES Retirements) should use the State-Regulated Utility RenewablePortfolio Standard/Provincial Utility Portfolio Standard (RPS)Retirement Type. Green-e Voluntary Retirements should use the Green-e EnergyCertified Voluntary Market Sale Retirement Type
Compliance Retirement Types
State/Provincial Portfolio Standard
- M-RETS Uses: State/Provincial-Regulated Utility Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS).
Other - Non-RPS Compliance
- M-RETS Uses: Any compliance program that is not related to a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS).
For more information on the process to transfer Certificates into a Retirement Account, visit our Instruction for Transferring M-RETS Certificates.